At La Mer Nail Institute, safety & health of students & salon customers are our top priority. We are committed to practicing the proper sanitation & educating the public of laws & regulations regarding nail services.
Here are some important laws & regulations to know:
- Beauty operator must hold a valid state license in order to practice legally.
- The state of Hawai'i requires 350 hrs of training in a licensed beauty school or 700 hrs of apprenticeship training in a licensed beauty salon to qualify for the state licensing exam.
- Use of callus shaver or peeler is prohibited in the state of Hawai'i.
- Nail technicians are prohibited from cutting or puncturing the living skin such as cuticles & removing callused skin, warts, corns, in-grown nails etc.
- Nail technicians should not perform on a client whose nail or skin is infected or inflamed.
- Nail technicians are not allowed to diagnose, treat or recommend treatments for infection, disease or abnormal conditions.
- Clients cannot sign a waiver or verbally give a nail technician permission to disobey state or federal rules & regulations.
- Nail technicians have the professional & legal obligation to protect consumers from harm by using proper infection control procedure.
- Reusing implements without properly cleaning & disinfecting them is against the law in every state.
- Each state has their own laws & regulations on nail practices.
You may contact or visit the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs website for additional information.
News & Announcements